Technical Project Manager in Boston, MA at Fast Switch

Date Posted: 12/22/2019

Job Snapshot

Job Description

Job ID: 55347

Our client in Boston, MA is seeking a Technical PM for a 7 month contract.

Detailed Description of Job responsibilities:

The Technical Project Manager (PM) will provide -site technical project management, for the Workforce Modernization Program (WMP) team in support of the new application implementation.

The PM needs to be comfortable interfacing with myriad departments and personality types. It is estimated that 60% of the workday will involve working hands on with the Workforce modernization team to transition support activities to IT team. The remaining 40% of the workday will be focused on project managing the technical portion of the implementation, integration and support.  

The selected candidate must be comfortable with SDLC and the Agile methodologies, be highly motivated, organized and comfortable interacting with C-level executives, project teams members, stakeholders, and end-users.  The selected candidate must be proficient with Microsoft Project, Visio, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.  Experience managing client, server, and web application implementations required.  Experience with the GIRO HASTUS application is preferred but not required.

The selected candidate will also be responsible for managing the implementation and technical support documentation efforts for future HASTUS related functionality, as appropriate. 

This position will perform the following activities and examples, as well as other related tasks as the needs arise:

DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES

  • Manage/coordinate with technical resources from the software vendor (GIRO, Inc.)
  • Manage configuration/code migrations/releases/upgrade from lower regions to Production
  • Manage creation of technical specifications and help determine need for all change requests
  • Manage development and support of HASTUS OIGs/OIRs/Control Files for integrations
  • Manage development and support of integrations using HASTUS Connect / Web Services / Batch Processing
  • Serve as SME for all technical aspects of the  HASTUS application and associated technical components
  • Manage team troubleshooting technical and functional issues with users
  • Manage team administration HASTUS User Permissions (new user establishment and user permission updates)
  • Application support activities related to: environment uptime and health checks, application backup, recovery and data exports, release installation / promotion, end user outage communication (Production)
  • Application report development and maintenance for reports
  • Help Desk activities to log, triage, and route HASTUS incident
  • Responding to users ‘how-to’ questions on HASTUS Bid functionality use
  • HASTUS SignIn/Out functionality troubleshooting
  • Interfaces development support
  • Own resolution of HASTUS application incidents related to Bid
  • Application support activities related to: password management
  • Interfaces support for: Daily / Remaining integrations

EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE

  • A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science or related field/comparable experience.
  • Five (5) to Ten (10) years plus of experience in technical project management.
  • Experience in enterprise system and/or application architecture strongly preferred.
  • Strong interpersonal/liaison skills for interfacing with senior management, vendors, project team members, and end-users.
  • Ability to work with many different types of professionals and in a fast-paced environment.
  • Prior project experience with large-scale application integration.
  • An architect-like mentality to be able to counsel stakeholders on the pros and cons of requested customization and integration.
  • Strong oral and written communication skills.
  • Experience with the HASTUS application suite (especially the Geo, Vehicle, Crew, Bid, and Daily modules) a plus.
  • Experience with Transit Service Planning / Transit Scheduling / Transit Daily Operations Management systems a plus.
  • Experience / foundational knowledge of GIS a plus.
  • Advanced Microsoft Project and Visio skills required.
  • Advanced Excel skills (VMA and macros) a plus.
  • Excellent organizational, analytical, multi-tasking, time management and documentation skills.
  • Experience with Timekeeping / Payroll integrations strongly preferred.